Wood shingles and shakes offer a unique style which is suitable for those who want something different on their home. This type of roofing London can be installed by many roofing companies, however before choosing them you need to consider the pros and cons first. So what are they? Here’s some of the advantages and disadvantages of wood shingles and shakes.
- Eco-Friendly – Wooden shingles are made from natural materials so they’re more eco-friendly than other types of roofing.
- Appearance – This roofing provides a more natural look which weathers to a silvery grey appearance. They’re also available in split shakes and sawn shingles as well.
- Materials – Wooden shingles are most commonly made from high grade woods such as cedar but can be made from rot resistant woods such as red wood.
- Weight – Because they’re made from wood they tend to be heavier in weight.
- Cost – Wooden shingles tend to be costlier than some other types of roofing material.
- Fire/Wood Resistance – No good in high fire areas because they’re made from wood. Can withstand high winds though making them suitable for near the sea.
- Slope – Can be installed on steep to moderate sloped roofs.
- Durability – Unfortunately wooden shingles do require ongoing maintenance and has a short lifespan that is half of other roofs.
Wooden shingles offer many benefits and disadvantages when it comes to roofing. By knowing what to expect when you use it you can make the decision whether it’s the right choice for your needs. So are you going to use wooden shingles?